Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Trust but verify -Ronald Reagan

It has been a while since I have posted. I just moved and didn't have internet for a while and I moving really takes a lot of time.

I wanted to write this time about the media. We are now deep into the information age (and by now there may be a new age that I haven't heard of yet) and we have a 24-hour news cycle. The media is forced to fill time with analysis of every aspect of a story and often times they talk to people who are no where close to the situation they are analyzing. Doing this they often blow things way out of proportion.

I am also tired of the the media following the policy of "it it bleeds it leads." There are hundreds of stories that aren't getting told or not getting the attention they deserve. It is the job of the media (national and local) to keep and eye on our government and tell us the stories that are relevant to their constituency. I don't mean to belittle the tragedy of someone's death but someone getting shot has a little impact on the public as a whole. Don't get me wrong their death is terrible and should not happen, but I need to know what affects everyone--or at least a majority of the people. If crime is on the rise and a shooting sets a record for my city, then I need to know to keep our government in check. I am the government and the media is to be our voice and helping us to keep an eye on them. Often, they regurgitate the press release of each side and call it "fair and balanced."

We as consumers of media need to hold them responsible. We want to know things that matter to us, don't make up stories during sweeps to set people in a panic like, "Guess what is in the ice at the restaurant you eat at." (imagine that said in the loud and boisterous announcer voice.)

Come together, we need to keep an eye on the government we elect. Become informed, demand more of the media and the people you elect to your local, state and national governments. Become an involved citizen. Don't reelect someone because you like their name and they haven't bothered you before. Know what they stand for and if you believe they have you in their their best interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment